A tragic attack on a Kabul hotel frequented by Chinese businessmen startled China on Tuesday, the country said, adding that five of its citizens had also been injured.
“China is appalled by this heinous terrorist act. We vehemently reject terrorism in all its manifestations. Wang Wenbin, a spokeswoman for the foreign ministry, said, “We express our sorrow for the Afghan military police who passed away and our sympathy for the injured.
Gunmen assaulted a hotel in the Afghan capital on Monday, leaving at least three people dead. Witnesses described hearing several explosions as well as several gunshots.
The violent Islamic State (IS) organization has taken ownership.
“As far as we know, five Chinese individuals were hurt in the terrorist assault, and numerous Afghan military and police personnel were also murdered,” Wang added.
He continued by saying that the Chinese embassy in Afghanistan had “made serious complaints to the Afghan interim government, asking the Afghan side to spare no effort to rescue the injured, properly investigate the event, bring the terrorists to justice, and take additional steps to guarantee the safety of Chinese residents in Afghanistan.”
Since taking over control in August of last year, the Taliban assert that security has improved; yet, there have been several bombings and other assaults, many of which have been blamed on the regional IS affiliate.
Wang added that embassy staff members had been to the bombing site on Monday to assist with rescue and medical efforts.
Wang said that Beijing was grateful for how the Afghan security forces “actively participated in managing and rescuing Chinese individuals.”
But he emphasized to Chinese nationals that the advice of the foreign ministry was to leave Afghanistan as soon as possible.