According to Mizan Online, the defendant was found guilty of one of Iran’s most serious offenses—”setting fire to a government facility, disturbing public order, assembly, and conspiracy to commit a crime against national security—as well as “an enemy of God and corruption on earth”—and was given the death penalty by a Tehran court.
Five more people in Tehran were given jail sentences ranging from five to ten years for “gathering and plotting to conduct crimes against national security and upsetting public order.” All individuals found guilty may challenge their sentences, Mizan added.
The protests, which the authorities have dubbed “riots,” have resulted in the deaths of dozens of people, mostly protesters but also security officers.
The judiciary announced earlier on Sunday that it has filed charges against more than 750 persons in three regions for their alleged involvement in such instances.
Since the protests started in mid-September, more than 2,000 individuals have already been accused, with about half of them in Tehran, the capital.
164 persons have reportedly been charged “following the recent disturbances,” according to Mojtaba Ghahremani, the judiciary chief for the southern province of Hormozgan, Mizan Online earlier reported.
According to the website, they are accused of “incitement to murder,” “harming security personnel,” “propaganda against the government,” and “destroying public property.” It further stated that their hearings will start “from Thursday in the presence of their counsel.”
According to Abdol-Mehdi Mousavi, the judiciary’s chief, 276 additional persons have been charged in the Markazi province in the center, according to the official news agency IRNA.
However, 100 young people were let go after making promises to abstain from taking part in any more “riots,” according to IRNA.
Asadollah Jafari, the head of the judiciary in the province of central Isfahan, reported that 316 cases had been brought in connection with the current unrest. According to what he said on Saturday, twelve people have already been tried.
Abdol-Mehdi Mousavi, the judiciary’s chief, was reported by the official news agency IRNA as adding that 276 additional persons had been charged in the Markazi province in the center.
100 young people, according to IRNA, were nevertheless released after making promises to abstain from taking part in any more “riots.”
According to the judiciary’s top official in the central province of Isfahan, Asadollah Jafari, 316 charges have been brought in connection with the current unrest. According to the Tasnim news agency, he said on Saturday that twelve people had already been put on trial.