North Korea attempted to launch an ICBM on Thursday, but it failed, according to the South Korean military. Washington has urged all countries to impose sanctions on Pyongyang.
The launches led South Korea and the United States to expand their existing joint air drills, the largest-ever such exercises, citing North Korea’s “provocations”.
The latest launches by the North, which comprised two short-range missiles and came after a barrage of missiles fired on Wednesday, were told to take cover in several areas of northern Japan.
The greatest launch on Thursday, however, “is likely to have ended in failure,” the South Korean military said.
Despite the ICBM launch appearing to fail, the United States denounced it.
Using the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, the official name of the North, US State Department spokesman Ned Price stated, “This action emphasizes the need for all countries to properly implement DPRK-related UN Security Council resolutions.”
Washington also backed up the intelligence supplied by the South Korean military, which previously claimed to have seen the launch of the long-range ballistic missile at roughly 7:40 a.m
The ICBM appears to have malfunctioned during “second-stage separation,” according to Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff.
According to the military, the long-range ballistic missile has a range of around 760 kilometers, a height of 1,920 kilometers, and a speed of Mach 15.
Additionally, it discovered what were “suspected to be two short-range ballistic missiles fired at around 08:39 am from Kaechon, South Pyongan province.”
The military of South Korea “is maintaining a full readiness posture while closely collaborating with the US and enhancing monitoring and vigilance,” it added.